We are committed to providing our members lasting relief from a variety of health disorders. One of the many ailments we treat on a regular basis is TMJD (temporomandibular joint dysfunction).
The temporomandibular joint is two pairs of joints which make it possible for the jawbone to both rotate and slide. This joint connects the lower jaw to the skull.
When one or more of these joints become inflamed or painful, the condition is called TMJD and this is a collective term for a broad range of disorders displaying a variety of signs including:
- Pain including tenderness in the jaw or around the ear
- Radiating pain in the face, neck or shoulders
- Difficulty opening the mouth
- Discomfort whilst chewing
- Clicking or popping sensation
- Locking of the joint
- Uneven bite as one or more teeth are making contact with each other before other teeth do
Correcting spinal misalignments and re-positioning of the jaw can alleviate the symptoms of TMJD. To improve tracking and movement therapeutic exercises and postural exercises are given.
Here at ROCK your Chiropractor will examine your neck and jaw and work closely with your Dentist to co-manage your TMJD. With proper care of your temporomandibular joint and correction of spinal disorders, members who suffer from TMJD can achieve pain relief and correction as well as enhancing the body’s response to care from their Dentist.